About Me

My photo
United States
Wife of Mountain Runner Mike,mother of Cotton, Tristan, and Justus. Lover of family and friends. SuperStar Director of an awesome Scentsy team. I can bake a beautiful loaf of bread, and love making my house a home. Come and sit a while.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Thankful for old hens

This is a pic of my gang during spring break '08. We took a road trip to Capitol Reef Natl. Park and we had a great time. I am grateful to have these pictures to look back at and I grin from ear to ear when I see these handsome blokes.
My friend Carolee brought her daughter Kennedee to my house yesterday to get her hair colored and while Carolee was waiting she asked if I had some cookbooks she could look through, so I pulled out one that I purchased at the cute little white Gifford home which is an original homestead that is now a museum and a gift shop in Capitol Reef. I thought it would be a great souvenir to bring home and when I made a recipe from it I would remember what a fun time our family had together on that trip. Anywho, the recipes in this book I am sure are from sweet little sisters who actually settled the Fruita area in Capitol Reef because they use old-fashioned terminology like a yeast cake instead of 2T. of yeast, or add 2 cups of chopped turkey (thimble sized). I have never been instructed by a recipe book to cut turkey to the size of a thimble. Carolee and I giggled while she narrated these recipes out loud and I thought I would share one of these recipes with you.
Chicken Casserole for 50
5-7 old hens, stewed
18 cups peas, fresh or frozen
15 cups diced carrots
10 lb. (about) noodles
breadcrumbs (dry)
Cook old hens in lots of water. Use broth to cook noodles in. Set aside. Cook carrots, then add peas to another kettle of broth. remove the chicken skin and set aside. Chop chicken and add to the peas; thicken. Place a layer of chicken, carrots, and peas in bottom of dripper pan,then a layer of noodles; sprinkle with dry bread crumbs and chicken skin which have been ground together. Repeat until dripper is full ending with crumbs.
Holy cow! Can you imagine? I bet they were thankful for old hens.

No comments: