About Me

My photo
United States
Wife of Mountain Runner Mike,mother of Cotton, Tristan, and Justus. Lover of family and friends. SuperStar Director of an awesome Scentsy team. I can bake a beautiful loaf of bread, and love making my house a home. Come and sit a while.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lion House rolls and an awesome gift!



This past week 30+ Scentsy consultants got together for a Christmas party. I made Lion House rolls for the pulled pork and I want to share the recipe with you.

Lion House dinner rolls

2 tablespoons dry yeast

2 cups warm water

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup shortening (butter, margarine, or vegetable shortening)

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

2/3 cup nonfat dry milk

5 to 6 cups flour

1 egg

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, shortening, salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour, and egg. Beat together until very smooth. Add 2 more cups flour, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Add about one more cup flour, 1/2 cup at a time (in your mixer if it will take it, or by hand), until it is well mixed in. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and satiny. Gather dough into a ball. Scrape bowl clean and grease it with shortening. Return dough to bowl and grease surface lightly. Let rise away from drafts in a warm (not hot) place until about triple in bulk.

Use the last of the flour as needed on the board for rolling and shaping the dough. (Don't use it all unless you need it.) Let dough rest on board for 10 minutes so it will be easier to manage if you roll it.


Cut or mold into desired shapes. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush surface of rolls with melted butter.
Let rise in warm place until ready for oven (about 1 1/2 hours).

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned to your satisfaction. Makes about 3 dozen rolls.

At our party we had a gift exchange. My cousin Brandy brought this cute little antique jar. She picked it and unwrapped it on her turn and I absolutely loved it! When my turn came to pick a gift I took the jar from Brandy. My friend Tanya took it from me when it was her turn to choose a gift and I was heart sick. To my surprise, at the end of the gift exchange Tanya traded me the jar for my gift of nail polishes, she said she had stole the jar from me because she could tell I loved it and she stole it to save it from someone else getting it. Thanks Tanya! I love my jar.








6 comments:

Unknown said...

That my sister is beautiful! Tanya is my kinda gal

Stephanie said...

I made those for Thanksgiving and they were FABULOUS!!! Mine didn't look as good as yours but they were super yummy! :) This is a fantastic roll recipe!

Carolee said...

YUM!! my favorite is fresh out of the oven w/ about 1/2 a stick of real butter on them. my mouth is watering!! mmmmm

Suzanne C said...

woohoo! can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Vickie!

Sassy said...

YUMMMMMMMM!!!! Nothing better than hot rolls and they look de-lish!!!! Your jar is too cute!!

Tanya said...

The rolls were delicious, beautiful and much better than anything you could buy at the store! :) So thankful for you, my friend!