About Me

My photo
United States
Wife of Mountain Runner Mike,mother of Cotton, Tristan, and Justus. Lover of family and friends. SuperStar Director of an awesome Scentsy team. I can bake a beautiful loaf of bread, and love making my house a home. Come and sit a while.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Make your own laundry detergent sister!

Last year my friend Kayola posted a recipe to make laundry detergent. I have made my 4th batch and have been pleased with the clean, fresh results on my family of men's clothes and an occasional frilly garment of mine. I have saved alot of money this past year making my own laundry detergent and used the extra money to buy yummy smelling fabric softener. You only need 2 Tablespoons of detergent for each load. This detergent will work in top loading and front loading machines. If you have a front loader you will only need to add a bit of warm water to the detergent in a small bowl and give it a stir to help the soap begin to dissolve. You will need: One 4 pound box of Borax

One 4 pound box of Arm & Hammer Laundry Soda

Two 4 pound boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

One and 1/3 bars of Zote Laundry soap, grated or

Two bars of Fels Naptha Laundry soap, grated.

I found all of these ingredients at my loca grocery store and Walmart. I mix everything together in a 5 gallon bucket and then transfer it to a pretty glass jar. This batch of laundry detergent lasts for months and I feel like a smart, frugal gal. Nothing wrong with that.

This lovely plate that is displayed in my laundry room is a small trinket I took from my dear mother's house while she was gallivanting in Arizona. Hope you don't mind Mom, I'll give it back if I must, but I feel empowered every time I read it.

This cute little stitchery hangs in my laundry room across from my antique washboards, my mom, sister and I all made this and my dad made each of us the frame they are displayed in. My dad makes beautiful frames.


I hope each of you get a bug to try this laundry detergent. I love it. Put something in your laundry room that makes you feel, cute and sassy when you look at it and laundry won't be such an UGLY chore.





4 comments:

Melodie said...

I'm curious how much all the ingredients cost and what you use to stir everything.

Also, I don't know if I've ever told you but Tristan loves the dinosaur blanket you made for him. He has to have it to sleep and when we wash it he gets so excited when we pull it out of the dryer.

Vickie said...

Mel,
It all comes in under $15 for the ingredients. I do many loads of wash every day of the week and This lasts me for months. So glad Tristan loves his blanket, it was made with love!

Sassy said...

YOU MAKE ME SMILE!!!!!!!! I am so glad you have loved this recipe......me too! I love the pink one...I have done both yellow and pink and it is my fave.....♥ ya!

Erva said...

I would LOVE to know your secret. How do you get your boys to deliver valentines? And with a smile on their cute faces!!!